Sunday Veritas: God Trusts in You

What I really wanted was an older team But as the line of the 1994 movie Forest Gump "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" Instead I got an under 12 team. Putted together with promoted under ten players and few newcomers, the Strikers was a team needing some work, but it takes a season or two for a team to blossom.

It did not take me long to recognize that Micah was the natural leader of the team, I made him Captain. The other children followed him naturally. Every time there was a free kick against our team close to our goal he would scream "wall" and run in front to our goal, the whole team would follow him, closing our goal keeper vision and consequently increasing the chances for the other team to score. 

As the coach my job was to transform this energy into positive team energy. The Strikers close the season fourth in the league. Micah performed most of soccer’s basic skills satisfactorily, but had the habit of kicking the ball with his toes, a pattern that even his mother recognized the need to change if he wanted to improve in the game. Kicking the ball with the toe can send the ball in different direction than desired.

In one game the referee called a penalty kick against the other team; scoring the goal could be decisive for our team to win the game. Micah screamed from the other side of the field, "Can I take it coach?" immediately his mom, who was my assistant, screamed beside me said, "No he will miss it". I turned to her and without excitation said, "But if he scores it will do a heck of good to him." I screamed back, "Go ahead Micah." When the referee blew his whistle Micah kicked the ball in the goal and scored.

Our relationship with God is like this. Sometimes he is just waiting for you to say, "Can I take it?" Others around you may think you don’t have what it takes to do it. King David is a fine example. When the Prophet Samuel came to anoint one of Jesse’s sons he was that last to be brought from the field. And when Goliath defied the army and the God of Israel, he was the one who said to Saul, "Can I do it?"

God loves to hear us saying "Can I do it?" because it is not by our power that the Kingdom of God advances, it is by his power; because his power perfects in our weakness. Is there anything happening today that you need to say, "Can I do (take) it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years With Mercy Ships

A Tribute to Pelé

Happy Father's Day!