The Gift that Releases

North Texas woke up this morning with a white Christmas, but here in East Texas the day began with much needed rain. Either way through rain, sleet, or snow, which eventually becomes liquid, any form of moisture is welcome right now. But independent of the weather it is Christmas day. Some open the presents Christmas evening, others Christmas day. As I said before those who give reflects God’s giving heart. The more they give, more they have to give.  

Serving on the Mercy Ships Anastasis I met Daryl, a man from the Canadian Coast Guard in Victoria, Canada. He asked me if he could fix my bicycle, which was old and rust by the salt of the sea stored on the aft deck. I didn’t see any problem with it, but I let him take it to “fix”. A week later he brought it back with new breaks, new chain, new bearings, new handle, and a paint job. Then he said: “I did not know if this was your favorite bicycle or I would buy you a new bike for the money I spent fixing this one.”

We were diving down from Indiana to Texas when I got a call from my friend Sergio asking if my daughter Queila had a car to go to College, he wanted to give her a car he was not using. She used the car for many years. He and his family moved from Dallas to Florida, he called me again saying that he wanted to give me another car. He bought a small Saturn station wagon, took it apart painted the car inside out, bought bright new tires, then he bought an air ticket from Dallas to Florida for me to drive the car back to Texas. We are still using the little car. 

When I think about God’s goodness to me there is always a human face. I could tell about Suzanna, Jim and Betty, Tom and Virginia, Dalmo and Marta, and many others who throughout the years have reflected God’s giving heart toward us over and over again. They are the gift that releases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years With Mercy Ships

A Tribute to Pelé

Happy Father's Day!