A Memorable Birthday

The glamour of comfortable flights is far gone. Seated like sardine in a tin can, I managed to get some sleep, but I arrived onboard the Africa Mercy totally tired. The six hours difference between Texas and Togo was not enough to keep me awake. I lay down around 11PM and slept straight until 7AM. It was raining when I woke up; it is the beginning of the raining season in Togo. It rained for almost four hours.
At breakfast familiar faces welcomed me; most of them received training at the International Operation Center (IOC) in Texas. It was hard to link names to faces in the morning. Ananda Samarawera, the Second Engineer, greeted me and said: Happy Birthday. Yes, it is my birthday and I’m commemorating it in Africa. Then he invited to a Sri Lanka meal in the evening in his cabin. He prepared five different dishes, all very hot, I mean spice hot. Hot enough to give you hiccups and make tears to roll down your face, but it was good.
Ananda invited eight people to celebrate my birthday. They were old and new friends, from Germany, Holland, USA, Canada, England and Sri Lanka. After diner I went to the lounge to watch Brazil play the Ivory Coast in the World Cup. Brazil won 3 to1. This will be a memorable Birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years With Mercy Ships

A Tribute to Pelé

Happy Father's Day!